brain, tummy, and body
One of the best things you can do for yourself is keep your body and brain active. Exercise, eat well, and learn now and you’ll thank yourself later in life. You may not feel like it matters a whole lot at this point in your life- after all you’re young you’ve got a ton of life left to experience! But ask any elderly person or even middle-aged adult, and trust them, you’ll want to stay active. The only way you can keep your spirit alive is by keeping your body in the best condition possible. So next time, organize a huge game of kickball with your friends instead of playing video games for 5 hours straight! Read a novel, some poetry, or do a word search instead of watching the entire season of House in one night! It is just as fun to create a meal with your family as it is to eat out, and much healthier too! Trust us, you’ll feel much better about yourself if you take care of your body.
(CHECK OUT THE HOW TO SURVIVE HIGHSCHOOL PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT MENTAL WELL-BEING SUCH AS DEALING WITH STRESS, ANXIETY AND OTHER PROBLEMS TEENS FACE AND CHECK OUT THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY PAGE, SOMETIMES RECIPIES ARE POSTED THERE AS WELL!) The holidays have come and gone so quickly..... now we are all just stuck with a few more months of cold miserable winteryness :c here are some tips for keeping your mood in balance during these dismal months: -eat foods rich in vitamin d such as dairy products -try to get out in the sun as much as possible -if it is too cold to be outside, try to keep your blinds open to let the natural light pour in -exercise -stay social- not just via the internet -try to do fun winter activities and sports frequently -eat whole grains to help balance your energy -eat fruits, green vegetables, nuts and seeds -keep a steady bedtime, listen to your bodys biological clock
clarity and mental relaxation.ridiculously fun chalk and side walk games for all ages: http://spoonful.com/family-fun/sports-athletic-games/chalk-pavement-games
HEALTHY TWISTS ON JUNK FOOD RECIPES:
Some times it is hard to eat healthy when all you are craving is junk food, so here are some recipes to help you stick to your nutritional goals while satisfying your cravings at the same time. Most are super easy( but ask an adult before handling sharp kitchen tools and the stove or oven) to make and contain tips and tricks that cut sodium and fat such as: baking instead of frying, using cheese made from skim milk, using leaner cuts of meat, and incorporating veggies, whole grains
and more nutritious substitutions!
It has actually been proven that consistently using these audios improves the way we think. One example is that it promotes whole-brain functioning – where both hemispheres of the brain synchronize and work together. Also practicing meditation with these audios for prolonged amounts of time allows your brainwaves to start resonating in the gamma frequency range – a higher state of functioning.
Because of the fact that everything we experience is dependent on our brainwaves, binaural beats can be used for a wide variety of things. Just a few benefits of using these powerful audios include:
- Mental Clarity
- Stress Reduction
- Altered States of Consciousness
- More Energy
- Sleeping Aid
- Improved Memory
- Metaphysical Experiences
- Personal and Spiritual Development
- Overcoming Depression
- Enhanced Learning
- And So Much More!
this website is beautiful:http://www.lumosity.com/
We all feel just a little bit chubbier after Thanksgiving, so here are some great, short videos that you can do at home to get back in your pre-Thanksgiving shape- no equipment necessary!
THE IMPORTANCE OF CATCHING YOUR ZZZZ’S
Your brain and body needs enough sleep to restore and repair itself, here is some more scientific information about the importance of sleep and naps, the causes and risks of sleep loss and some home remedies for those nights where you just fall asleep!
includes the causes of sleep problems and what happens as a result
highlights the benefits of power napping, the guidelines to follow, and evidence that supports these claims
interesting remedies include: taking a warm bath, drinking milk, soothing music, breathing exercises
T R Y Y O G A
1. Increase your flexibility and reduce risk for injury. Each yoga pose targets specific muscles, thereby increasing flexibility and reducing the risk for injury in your activities.
If you’re just getting started in yoga, be sure your teacher knows about any injuries or health conditions you have and is aware and knowledgeable enough to advise you of any positions you should avoid.
2. Reduce stress. Yoga can help soothe the mind and lower stress levels by focusing the mind on the moment and the movements rather than on external distractions.
3. Increase your awareness and concentration. A primary component of yoga is rhythmic, focused breathing.
4. Understand the mind/body connection better. Yoga requires you to focus all your energies on performing each movement or pose precisely. This benefits both the mind and body and teaches you to integrate the two.
5. Gain strength and stamina. More vigorous styles of yoga, such as Vinyasa and Ashtanga, promote strength and stamina as well as flexibility and relaxation.
Muscles in balance
6. Keep muscles in balance. Those who are new to yoga may become aware of muscle and flexibility imbalances they hadn’t noticed before.
7. Improve balance and stability. Balancing poses require you to engage your core stabilizer muscles, which can help improve overall stability.
8. Improve posture. Yoga poses strengthen and open tight areas of the body, such as the shoulders and muscles of the upper back, which is necessary for good posture.
9. Develop body awareness. Yoga requires you to contract and/or relax specific muscles as you stretch into each pose, thereby increasing awareness of the body’s strengths and weaknesses.
10. Receive cross-training benefits. Yoga combines flexibility, strength training, and balance to create a mind/body activity that’s a perfect addition to any fitness regimen.
Even people who participate in different kinds of sports or physical activities find doing yoga on a daily basis provides a range of physical and mental benefits unavailable anyplace else. Once you’ve learned a few yoga moves and breathing techniques, you can easily integrate them into your regular fitness routine.
If I had it my way, everyone in the whole wide world would be required to take a basic, contemporary nutrition course because a balanced diet is the foundation to life. With a balanced diet you can miraculously improve your health and mental well being-please consider making attaining this knowledge a must- do in your life, to get started- here are a few interesting sources.
10 tips on how to eat healthy at fast food restaurants:
Ways to improve your eating habits as a teen:
Basic nutrition questions answered including reading nutrition labels:
A WORK OUT FOR YOUR BRAIN:
READING, READING, READING
CHESS AND OTHER GAMES
check out these websites for other tips and games:
10 things to do: baking and making; kitchen edition!
…And you’ll never go hungry again! (Did anyone catch my Lion King reference?):]
Here we have gathered a list, for all of our super hungry readers out there, of some wonderfully delicious recipes to try out in your spare, hunger filled time at home. Whether you’re craving something sweet or salty, hearty or light, we’ve found the foods that are sure to delight your taste buds. Remember, before you start satisfying your sweet tooth, make sure to get your parents permission, and help, when using the oven or any other kitchen instruments. Have a blast making these fun recipes and to share them with all your family and friends!
2. Berry Orange Sorbet
7.Fruit Skewers with Strawberry sauce
8.Mini Taco Bowls
Please remember to give your parents a hand by cleaning up the kitchen when your done. That way everyone can enjoy the delicious treats carefree!
If you try one of the recipes make sure to comment and let us know how it turned out!
ALSO, if you have any Baking & Making suggestions let us know by commenting below! 😀 Thanks!
IT’S EASY TO EXERCISE!
Home – Outdoor:
• Ride bicycle
• Tennis ball bounced on a racquet
• Golf with wiffel balls in the backyard
• Walk dog
• Neighborhood walks/Exploring (in a safe area)
• Hula hooping
• Jump rope
• Climbing trees
• Play in the back yard
• Yard work
Home – Indoor:
• Exercise VCR/DVD tape for kids
• Yoga VCR/DVD tape for kids
• Home gym equipment
• Stretch bands
• Free weights
With friends or family members – Outdoor Activities
• Red Rover
• Chinese jump rope
• Regular jump rope
• Ring around the rosie
• Four score
• Capture the Flag
• Silly Olympics
• Slip n Slide
• Waterballoon tag
• Tug of War
• Run through a sprinkler
• Jungle Gym competition (who can hold a pull-up longest, etc.)
• Family swim time at the YMCA, YWCA or local pool
• Shoot hoops together
• Walk the family dog together
With friends or family members – Indoor Activities
• Crab Walk
• Duck Duck Goose
• Red light, Green light
• Simon Says (with action-oriented movement like hopping)
Community or School Activities
• Ping pong
• River rafting
• Marching band
• Track/Cross country
• Martial arts
• Nature walks/Exploring (in a safe area)
• Weightlifting at a gym